If there’s one thing more stressful than moving it’s moving over long distances. Moving far away often means new jobs, new friends, and a new way of life. It’s a big change that doesn’t need to be made any more difficult by a complicated moving process. In this article, we’ll cover some ways to prepare yourself for a long distance move so that you can rest easy knowing you’re ready for this new chapter of your life.
A new home, a new lifestyle
If you’re moving across the country you probably don’t know where to begin when it comes to preparing yourself. A good place to start is with the basics of daily life. Ask yourself these questions before you start packing:
- Do I have the right clothes?
You don’t need a whole new wardrobe before you move, but you don’t want to brave a Northeast winter with just a sweatshirt either.
- What can I get rid of?
Think about all of the items you have and how much you use them. If you haven’t used something in a year there’s a good chance it’s not worth hauling across the country.
- How much space will I have?
If you’re moving into a house bigger than the one you have now you might not need to part with many bulky items. If not, consider having a yard sale before you move.
- Do I know enough about where I’m moving?
When moving to a new place, you’ll want to know where the closest hospitals, gas stations, and grocery stores are. Explore Google Maps and websites for the area you’re moving to to get to know the place beforehand. Write down important addresses and telephone numbers.
Create a timeline
With all of the changes that are about to happen in your life, odds are you’ll get overwhelmed with many of the details of moving. Create a moving timeline, whether it’s in an app on your smartphone or on a piece of paper. On this timeline, write in dates you’ll need to accomplish certain items by. Here are some sample items for your timeline:
- Pick a move-in/move-out date by today
- Choose a moving company by today
- Sell or donate unwanted items by today
- Sign paperwork and exchange keys today
- Donate clothes by today
- Going away party by today
- Pack up office by today
- Pack up living room by today
Packing your belongings
When packing for a long distance move there is more pressure to do it right and not forget anything. Follow these packing tips to ensure a safe travel:
- Take inventory. Use an app that helps you categorize your belongings. Check off important items as they’re packed and cross them off as they’re unpacked at your new home.
- Pack one room at a time. This will help you keep everything together and ensure you don’t forget anything. It will make unpacking much easier.
- Don’t forget to label all your boxes. Keep that Sharpie in your back pocket at all times.
- Communicate. Make sure everyone who is moving with you and helping you move are all on the same page when it comes to packing so that no details are overlooked.
- Use extra padding. A longer drive means more opportunities for something to get broken along the way. Pack boxes full and put fragile items on the bottom of the truck.